DEVELOPING MY THEME BOOK (4)

I found an black and white image of what looked like an x-ray of a seed pod.  This took me off in quite a different direction.  After a few drawings of some seed pods (again in red and green) I began to stylise my ideas to reflect the very interesting shapes that the  x-ray image seemed to suggest.  I began to think about the seed inside the pod and had found a poem where the seed is referred to as the secret within.  I wanted to portray the seeds as precious, almost like gems.  Bean and pea pods and the seeds inside provide a perfect basis for this.   I began to develop the shapes in a more abstract way whilst still keeping the distinctive shape of the pods.  I had collected some lovely dark coloured broom bush seed pods from the garden and within a couple of days of being in the warm dry house they had popped open and the seeds had sprung out.  I wanted to try to capture what they would have looked liked just before that happened as if I could see through the case of the pod. Decided to work with Koh-i-noor paint which is a dye rather than a paint and can be used on fabric.  It provided jewel like colours which were very vibrant.  The lines of the drawing were decorative and quite simple and I decided to have a thermafax screen made directly from my drawing as a possible development for my final piece.  At this stage I was thinking about recovering an old battered chair but was also still thinking about a wall hanging so could afford still to keep my option open.   I experimented with a few other pod shapes but none were quite so pleasing. In fact some looked rather more like sausages than seed pods!

100_7447

 

 

 

 

 

 

Putting aside the work on seed pods for the time being I then began to look at the lovely poppy seed heads a friend had gathered for me from her garden. I had done a little sample piece earlier in the course unit based on poppy seed heads and decided that I would like to think about and expressive way of portraying these in paint. My drawing can be rather laboured so I experimented with pencil and pen attached to a piece of dowel rod so that I had to stand back from my sketch book and work, literally at arm’s length. I was pleased with the effect. A much more free style of drawing emerged and I had a lot of fun using different media developing a more expressive painting and colouring style. I really liked the contrast been the long stems of the poppies and their complex and architectural seed pods. I realise that I have gone beyond simply collecting images for my theme and was now going along a path of development and refining and changing the images. I am already thinking there was something here that I will return to for my final project To that end I am also going to have a thermafax screen made from one of my poppy drawings. I am really interested in the idea of printing then painting on textiles.

100_7451

Advertisements

Posted on 09/03/2014, in Development work, Part 5, Theme and theme book. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: